6’4” – 292 lbs. – 4.85e
2010: 14 – 0.0 – 0.0, 2 QBH (LB)
2011: 19 – 5.0 – 1.0, 1 FF, 1 PD (DE)
2012: 30 – 8.5 – 3.0, 5 QBH
Came to Alabama as a 252-pound linebacker and has steadily gained weight each year; now weighs 292 pounds. Was primarily a reserve but started two games as a freshman, then became part of the team’s defensive line rotation as a sophomore before developing into the team’s full-time starter at defensive end as a junior in 2012, a role he has maintained since.
• Bulky player who has added forty pounds during his time at Alabama.
• Experienced at all four defensive line positions, primarily LE, UT.
• Has an excellent anchor and is capable of holding his ground vs. the run.
• Heavy-handed player who can knock linemen off-balance with punch.
• Effective bull rusher who can drive offensive linemen into the backfield.
• Impressive motor, especially as an edge rusher in passing situations.
• Active hand use, particularly when attempting to create pressure vs. pass.
• Range and athletic ability are surprising for a player with his build.
• Versatility even extends to short coverage drops on zone blitzes.
• May not necessarily have a true position for conventional 4-3 defenses.
• Part of a defensive line rotation and comes off the field fairly often.
• Holds his ground vs. the run but takes slightly too long to shed blocks.
• Can create pressure but can’t always seal the deal vs. elusive passers.
• Production isn’t eye-popping, aside from impressive junior campaign.
Intriguing, well-rounded defensive lineman who could fit in either an even or odd front, lining up at defensive end and sliding inside on passing downs for 4-3 teams or playing the five-technique position in a 3-4, particularly in a two-gapping scheme. Significantly more athletic than expected given his frame, but also possesses plenty of power and bulk. RD 2