6’0” – 190 lbs. – 4.55e
2010: 60 – 0.0 – 0.0, 7 PD, 3 INT
2011: 56 – 1.0 – 0.0, 9 PD, 1 INT
2012: 71 – 4.0 – 1.0, 1 FF, 13 PD, 5 INT (1 TD)
Redshirted in 2009, then became the team’s full-time starter as a redshirt freshman in 2010, a role has maintained over the past four seasons. Has been named to the Academic All-ACC team three straight years, and was a first-team All-ACC pick in 2012.
• Possesses prototypical height and bulk for a professional cornerback.
• Will graduate as a productive four-year starter in a major conference.
• Plays with a physical, aggressive temperament in all phases of the game.
• Does a nice job of mirroring his assignment when asked to play man.
• Outstanding pattern recognition and fluid hips to take away short routes.
• Shows an impressive ability to plant and accelerate out of his breaks.
• As an in-phase CB, exhibits good timing when making plays on the ball.
• Capable of lining up in press-man coverage to inhibit release.
• Primarily asked to play man coverage but has played some zone.
• Top-end speed is a little bit less than you’d like from a man cover corner.
• Struggles to defend deep routes, generally because of his speed.
• Gets a little bit overaggressive with his pursuit angles at times.
• Not a very forceful hitter or tackler, attempts can be run through.
• Looks more comfortable in man coverage than he does in zone.
Cockrell is a productive four-year starter whose pattern recognition skills and the fluidity of his hips allow him to play some impressive press-man coverage for the Blue Devils, effectively taking away most short and intermediate routes; his playing temperament and intelligence both stand out as well. However, it is fair to wonder whether or not he possesses the top-end speed to defend deep routes with consistency, something that may be exploited at the next level; his tackling skills and run support also leave a little bit to be desired in terms of his strength and, occasionally, angles. RD 4-5