6’0” – 205 lbs. – 4.60e
2010: 16 – 0.0 – 0.0, 1 FF
2011: 89 – 5.5 – 0.0, 2 QBH, 3 PD, 1 INT (TD)
2012: 102 – 5.5 – 1.0, 2 QBH, 3 PD, 2 INT
Functioned as a reserve safety and special teams contributor as a freshman, missing two games due to injury. Shifted from safety to a hybrid nickel “Bear” position as a sophomore, starting all thirteen games as a sophomore, a role he reprised as a junior in 2012, again starting all thirteen games. Transitioned back to safety as a senior.
• Has three years of starting experience for a major college program.
• Certainly looks the part of a pro safety, tall with a muscular build.
• Versatile, has been used as both a safety and as a nickel defender.
• Often lines up as essentially a weakside linebacker for the Bears.
• Physical, aggressive player, doesn’t shy away from contact.
• Capable of taking on blocks in the run game when necessary.
• Experienced blitzer who’s had some success in that regard.
• Participates on special teams as a member of the kick coverage unit.
• Not particularly fast, restricting his range, especially as a run defender.
• Lacks the fluidity, quick-twitch reflexes to develop into an ideal slot man.
• Commits a little bit too early in run support, takes some risky angles.
• Doesn’t have much experience in deep coverage, limited to 2013.
• Needs a little bit of work with pattern recognition in man coverage.
• Was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault this September.
Dixon is an intriguing prospects because he’s done a little bit of everything at Baylor, from lining up as what was essentially a linebacker in 2012, to handling slot responsibilities, to assuming more of a traditional strong safety role as a senior in 2013. The last of these roles is probably his ideal position at the pro level, as he is certainly not big enough to play linebacker professionally, and lacks the agility to cover slot receivers with regularity. However, he is an experienced strong safety option with three years of quality production and should benefit from a weak class of safeties. RD 4-5