6’1” – 225 lbs. – 4.75e
2010: 329 yards (52.4%, 5.2), 4 TD, 3 INT (23 – 33 – 1)
2011: 3,828 yards (59.7%, 7.7), 33 TD, 12 INT (142 – 218 – 5)
2012: 3,896 (67.2%, 9.1), 36 TD, 13 INT (186 – 514 – 10)
Redshirted in 2009, then appeared in a reserve capacity in 2010. Assumed the starting role as a redshirt sophomore in 2010, a role he has maintained since. Was named ACC Player in the Year by media and coaches in 2012.
• Will graduate with three years of quality starting experience at Clemson.
• Didn’t suffer a drop in production despite losing some key personnel.
• Improved his efficiency fairly substantially from 2011 to 2012/2013.
• Demonstrates polished, controlled footwork on dropbacks from center.
• Has good pocket presence, generally senses pressure and adjusts well.
• Impressive runner who can create additional opportunities, extend plays.
• Powerful, capable of breaking arm tackles and avoiding sack attempts.
• Capable of making throws on the run, keeps eyes downfield vs. pressure.
• Mature player, is considered one of the leaders of Clemson’s locker room.
• Height is below-average for a pro passer, battled weight issues in 2011.
• Most of his snaps in college have come out of shotgun formations.
• Ball placement can become erratic to all levels; weight transfer issue?
• Arm is certainly adequate but doesn’t always throw the tightest spiral.
• Doesn’t have an over-the-top delivery, arm angle drops frequently.
• Gets a little bit happy in the pocket and will leave prematurely at times.
• How much did he benefit from Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins, etc.?
Boyd received some first-round hype this past offseason, but he is not an ideal candidate to go on the draft’s first day because of his lack of prototypical physical tools. He is a bit shorter than the average quarterback and doesn’t possess outstanding arm strength or accuracy, his completion percentage and yards per attempt somewhat inflated by a high volume of screens and a quality supporting cast. Additionally, his release point will need some work. However, he is a productive three-year starter with some polish who is very effective at creating plays with his legs. RD 2