5’8” – 190 lbs. – 4.50e
2010: 23 – 0.0 – 0.0, 3 PD, 1 INT
2011: 54 – 2.0 – 1.0, 3 PD, 4 INT
2012: 51 – 1.5 – 0.0, 5 PD, 1 INT
Appeared in all fourteen games as a freshman in a reserve cornerback role, contributing as a kick returner as well. Transitioned to safety in 2011 and started all thirteen games, earning second-team All-ACC honors while maintaining his kick return duties. Started all fourteen games at safety as a junior, then transitioned into a hybrid cornerback/safety role in 2013.
• Will graduate with three years of quality starting experience.
• Has done a little bit of everything in the secondary at Florida St.
• Physical player, willing to come up and make a hit on a ballcarrier.
• Feisty, thickly-built, plays a little bit bigger than his size would suggest.
• Fluid, when changing directions, and exhibits impressive closing burst.
• Displays effective ball skills, soft hands when in position to make a play.
• Aggressive with his angles in run support but usually in position.
• Size deficiencies may be masked to some extent as a slot cornerback.
• Unveiled a hidden penchant for rushing the passer as a senior.
• Durable and has appeared in every game over his collegiate career.
• Also contributes as a solid kick returner, had a good year in 2011.
• At only 5’8”, will likely struggle against bigger pro receivers/tight ends.
• Gives up a little bit too much separation, too often a step late in coverage.
• Misses some tackles due to overaggressiveness or abandoning technique.
• A little bit of a gambler overall, not the most conservative safety prospect.
There’s a lot to like about Joyner: he’s an experienced, physical, and aggressive defensive back who’s contributed as a safety, as a cornerback, and as a kick returner, with above-average athleticism and good ball skills. His diverse skillset should allow him to contribute in some capacity at the pro level, although he is not tall enough to cover tight ends and may not be conservative enough to make teams comfortable with him being their last line of defense. As a pro, he may ultimately end up as a slot corner. RD 3