6’4” – 235 lbs. – 4.65e
2010: 13 – 2.0 – 2.0, 2 QBH, 1 PD
2011: 56 – 6.0 – 3.0, 1 QBH, 2 FF, 3 PD
2012: 95 – 7.0 – 0.0, 1 QBH, 2 FR (1 TD), 3 PD
Appeared in all fourteen games as a reserve and special teams contributor as a true freshman, then started at strongside linebacker in 2011 for all thirteen games. Started all fourteen games at weakside linebacker as a junior. Starting middle linebacker for his senior season.
• Will graduate with plenty of experience for a major college program.
• Tall with decent bulk, his build can project to any spot in a pro 4-3.
• Has experience starting at all three linebacker spots in the 4-3.
• Forceful hitter, has a nice closing burst and uses sound technique.
• Runs well with a high motor, capable of sideline-to-sideline pursuit.
• Plays the game with an aggressive, nasty on-field temperament.
• Despite his weight, actually does a good job of taking on blockers.
• Patient in zone coverage, can turn and run with tight ends downfield.
• Demonstrates good timing when going for the breakup in coverage.
• Game is well-rounded enough to stay on the field for all three downs.
• Has been very durable over the course of his collegiate career.
• Production has dropped off from his junior to his senior campaign.
• May not really have a natural position in a 3-4 defensive front (WILB?)
• Has been asked to rush in college (even from end) but isn’t dynamic.
• Needs to do a better job of protecting himself from cut blocks.
• Must be more careful about setting too wide an edge versus the run.
• Could be asked to gain some additional weight at the next level.
Jones may have a little bit of trouble finding a spot in the first round because of the reduced importance assigned to traditional 4-3 linebackers, but he projects as a capable three-down player who has played all three positions in that front as a Seminole and could realistically do the same at the next level, with his best fits probably coming either in the middle or on the strongside. A durable, versatile, physical, and well-rounded prospect. RD 2