6’2” – 230 lbs. – 4.40e
2011: 56 – 4.0 – 3.0, 1 FF, 1 BK
2012: 114 – 17.0 – 5.0, 3 QBH, 3 FF, 10 PD, 1 INT (1 TD)
Played in all thirteen games as a true freshman, starting the final three as an injury replacement at “Will” linebacker. Assumed a starting role for the Buckeyes as a sophomore, being named to the All-Big Ten first team.
• Would be entering the draft with two incredibly productive campaigns.
• Has gained eighteen pounds of bulk since arriving in the program.
• Plays both in the middle and as a weakside linebacker for the Buckeyes.
• Aggressive, high-motor player who doesn’t take many plays off.
• Very impressive movement skills, fluid with sideline-to-sideline range.
• Closes on ballcarriers in a hurry and displays some pop in his hits.
• Effective blitzer who does a good job of timing rushes, shooting gaps.
• Looks comfortable defending running backs on routes out of the flat.
• Well-suited to the NFL’s fascination with sub packages, pass defense.
• Overall lack of bulk will relegate him to interest from four-man fronts.
• Gets overly aggressive in pursuit and winds up out of position at times.
• Too small to hold up against blockers, needs to avoid getting engaged.
• In efforts to avoid blockers, often finds himself uninvolved in the play.
• Falls off of quite a few tackles, or hits the ballcarrier but falls off.
• Athletic in zone coverage but awareness is questionable at times.
Shazier is an athletic specimen, but because of his lack of bulk and strength, he often has to take a circuitous route to the ballcarrier which negates his athletic advantages, or works himself out of position because of his lack of zone coverage awareness. When he has a clear path, he occasionally gets too aggressive and overruns the play. That said, for teams seeking a versatile linebacker for an even defensive front, Shazier offers the ability to play either in the middle or, preferably, on the weak side, is an effective blitzer because of his speed and acceleration, and possesses the raw tools to develop into a quality coverage linebacker. He should find a place in the first round. RD 1