5’10” – 207 lbs. – 4.50e
2011: 91 – 425 – 6 (4.7), 15 – 203 – 2 (13.5)
2012: 303 – 1,929 – 23 (6.4), 36 – 303 – 1 (8.4)
Played in eleven games as a freshman in a rotational role, also worked as the team’s top kick returner. Started all thirteen games as a sophomore, earning a place on the All-Pac-12 first team.
• Will graduate with two highly productive seasons in a major conference.
• Has shown that he can function as a workhorse, handle a heavy role.
• Has a pretty strong, thick build, appears a little bigger than listed weight.
• Physical, aggressive, powerful runner, generally ends up falling forwards.
• Runs with a pretty low center of gravity, doesn’t remain upright.
• Not brought down by the first defender, runs through arm tackles.
• Demonstrates an effective burst and good deep speed in the open field.
• Makes nice cuts, can juke defenders when he gets into the open field.
• Has impressive balance and body control to avoid falling from contact.
• Capable of contributing as a receiving option out of the backfield.
• Hasn’t missed time due to injury in either of the past two seasons.
• Has a bit of tread on his tires after two seasons of very high usage.
• Vision could still use some work, tends to run into too many defenders.
• Physical running style could eventually contribute to durability issues.
• Not always a consistent gainer, has his share of short/negative runs.
• Typically used as a receiver when passing, protection may need work.
Carey is a thickly-built runner who operates with a low center of gravity. He exhibits a physical running style, generally falling forwards and gaining a couple of yards after initial contact, but he also has some shake and is explosive in the open field. His contributions as a receiver should create some value on passing downs, and he has already shown that he can function as a workhorse in a major conference. At this point, he does have some minor vision concerns, and his pass protection is a relative unknown, but he profiles as a potential starting running back and should go on the second day. RD 2