6’3” – 248 lbs. – 4.60e
2010: 68 – 14.5 – 4.5, 8 QBH, 2 FF, 10 PD
2011: 65 – 20.5 – 5.5, 13 QBH, 5 FF, 2 PD, 1 INT, 1 BK
2012: 94 – 20.0 – 8.0, 4 QBH, 4 FF, 2 PD, 1 BK
Redshirted as a freshman in 2009, then took over as a starting outside linebacker in 2010, a role he has maintained since; earned first-team All-MAC selections in 2011 and 2012.
• Height is adequate for the position, with long arms, nice physqiue.
• Possesses decent bulk for the modern, passing-oriented league.
• Could potentially play outside linebacker in either defensive front.
• High-motor pass rusher who presents a constant threat for passers.
• Very explosive, gets off the line in a hurry and can win with speed.
• Closes well and is effective in pursuit, changes directions easily.
• Shifty, does a great job of dipping his shoulder to elude blockers.
• Creative rusher who mixes in both outside and inside rushes well.
• Active hand use when attempting to disengage from blockers.
• Athleticism allows him to drop into coverage, although better rusher.
• Better run defender than he would appear to be; penetrates well.
• Rangy and can chase ballcarriers sideline-to-sideline easily.
• Broke Terrell Suggs’ NCAA record for career forced fumbles.
• Respected in the locker room, is one of Buffalo’s team captains.
• Has played in a relatively easy conference, inflating production.
• May end up coming in at 6’2” or so during Combine measurements.
• Could stand to add a little bulk, but it may affect his explosiveness.
• One-gap penetrator, is not an ideal candidate for two-gap teams.
• Doesn’t have the best anchor, more successful eluding blockers.
• Favors rushing the passer, containment/edge setting isn’t great.
Mack is easily one of the most disruptive pass rushers in the class, perhaps second only to Jadeveon Clowney. Given Von Miller’s incredible success as a 4-3 rush linebacker, Mack should be able to allay some of the concerns about his overall bulk by presenting teams with an unorthodox threat out of even fronts who also makes sense as a right outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. His varied rushes, outstanding burst and agility, and high motor make him an ever-present danger for opposing quarterbacks. Also defends the run better than anticipated given his ability to penetrate. RD 1