6’2” – 235 lbs. – 4.60e
2011: 1 – 0.0 – 0.0
2012: 14 – 8.0 – 8.0, 2 QBH, 1 FF
Redshirted in 2010, then appeared for just sixteen snaps over nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2011. Appeared in a rotational capacity as a sophomore in 2012 but led the team in sacks.
• Possesses average height, with long arms and a lanky, muscular build.
• Really turned it on as a junior and put together an outstanding season.
• High-motor player who consistently gives his best effort in all phases.
• Explosive off the line of scrimmage, can win with his initial burst.
• Closes well, has a nice burst, frequently successful at finishing rushes.
• Plays with more power than anticipated given his lack of ideal size.
• Very good at dipping his shoulder or winning inside off the snap.
• Smooth when it comes to bending back inside after his outside rush.
• Active hand use, difficult to block for an extended period of time.
• Athletic enough to qualify as a 3-4 linebacker conversion candidate.
• Actually a pretty effective one-gap run defender given his penetration.
• Still possesses considerable upside given his limited starting experience.
• Considerably undersized for a pass rusher, needs to gain substantial bulk.
• It’s fair to wonder how additional bulk will affect his athleticism/burst.
• Would be entering the draft with only one season of starting experience.
• Probably doesn’t have much appeal to teams with two-gap defenses.
• Occasionally out of position in the run game due to his initial rush move.
• Likely 3-4 linebacker whose coverage instincts are still an unknown.
Beasley only stepped into a starting role this season, but he is already an advanced pass rusher who combines outstanding athleticism with a diverse, creative repertoire of rushes, active hand use, and unanticipated power. It would be a mistake for teams to discount him as a legitimate blindside threat given his lack of ideal size, although that may ultimately cause him to transition to 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level, where his lack of bulk would be better disguised. A much more polished prospect than other small rushers who have declared recently, such as Aaron Maybin. RD 1