6’6” – 274 lbs. – 4.45e
2011: 36 – 12.0 – 8.0, 6 QBH, 5 FF, 1 PD
2012: 54 – 23.5 – 13.0, 5 QBH, 3 FF, 1 FR, 2 PD
Has been starting since his true freshman season, a year in which he earned second-team All-SEC honors. Earned SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2012, being named to the conference’s first-team and winning the Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end.
• Will enter the draft with three seasons of quality starting experience.
• Possesses prototypical height, bulk, and length for a pro pass rusher.
• Combines his outstanding size with incredible, rare athletic ability.
• Virtually impossible to single-block when he gives his full effort.
• Extremely explosive off the snap, can win inside or outside with speed.
• Closes in a hurry, does a nice job of capitalizing on initial success.
• Complements his freakish speed with plenty of power on the bull rush.
• Very creative rusher, mixes in plenty of different approaches/moves.
• Outstanding block-shedder thanks to his suddenness/strength/speed.
• Consistently forces offenses to run their plays in the opposite direction.
• Has succssfully slid inside to defensive tackle on obvious passing downs.
• Can project to any defensive scheme, best as a 4-3 right defensive end.
• After a dominant 2012 campaign, production dropped markedly in 2013.
• Appeared to be playing to avoid injury over the course of his junior year.
• Publically admitted to being out of shape during his sophomore season.
• How will he respond to signing a lucrative contract following the draft?
Clowney entered college football as the top high school recruit in the nation and did not disappoint, immediately stepping into the starting lineup and quickly establishing himself as college football’s most feared pass rusher. Seemingly capable of doing anything on the field, he will be criticized for his disappointing junior campaign, in which he played to avoid injury, but he nonetheless projects as an elite edge rusher at the pro level and deserves to be selected within the first few picks in this April’s NFL Draft. RD 1