6’1” – 258 lbs. – 4.80e
2010: 14 – 4.0 – 3.5, 4 QBH (ILB)
2011: 31 – 3.5 – 2.0, 2 QBH
2012: 51 – 10.5 – 7.5, 12 QBH, 1 PD (OLB)
2013: 48 – 5.5 – 5.5, 17 QBH, 1 FF
Played in all thirteen games as a true freshman, functioning as a reserve linebacker. Started eight of the twelve games he played in as a sophomore, then all thirteen games as a junior in 2012, an accomplishment he replicated as a senior in 2013.
• Will graduate having been a productive starter for the Irish over the past two seasons.
• Possesses impressive bulk for a college linebacker, weighed 243 pounds back in 2010.
• Played inside linebacker for two seasons before transitioning to the outside as a junior.
• Also drops into a three-point stance on occasion, even as an end in a three-man line.
• Has already done plenty of work in odd defensive fronts given Notre Dame’s scheme.
• Frame makes him a candidate to work as “elephant”, setting the edge against the run.
• Able to create some pressure with his inside move as a pass rusher; uses spin as well.
• Demonstrates adequate footwork on zone drops, albeit from an unconventional stance.
• Works through the play, especially when rushing the passer; no questions with motor.
• Shorter than your typical outside linebacker, most teams prefer players 6’3” or taller.
• Movement skills are only adequate for a strongside linebacker, better in short-area.
• Lack of height/athleticism make him a questionable coverage option at the next level.
• Not particularly quick or explosive off the line, not someone who wins with speed/bend.
• More effective at pressuring opposing passers than he is at sealing the deal with sacks.
• Doesn’t do a great job of shedding despite active hand use, tends to stay blocked.
• Predictable rusher, starts with bull rush then tries to spin inside to shed the blocker.
Shembo’s bulk and production over the past two years suggest that he could become a strongside linebacker for a team which runs an odd defensive front, but his tape doesn’t match his statistics. While he is an adequate run defender who has also been asked to assume various roles defensively, starting as an inside linebacker before sliding outside and even lining up at end at times, mixing in some zone drops in coverage, he lacks the height and athleticism to match up against opposing tight ends, while he is a formulaic pass rusher who leans too heavily on his spin move rather than displaying a wide repertoire of rush moves. At best, a backup strongside linebacker in a 3-4 defense who needs to diversify rush arsenal.